Thursday, March 14, 2013

#8: Daffodil Solo

6" x 6", oil, 3 hours
This lovely daffodil was blooming in my garden, so in it came to star in my latest still life project!  I again tried to push myself not to overdo it, and was somewhat successful.  Quinacridone magenta, cad yellow medium, cobalt blue + titanium white were all I used, along with a teeny bit of Neo Megilp.  I like the cohesiveness of the color I get when I restrict my palette.  I toned the canvas with a wash of Quinac Magenta and Gamsol, as the Quinac is transparent.  It was a pretty pink ground when I started to paint over it.

Things I like:
- love the color (still on my orange kick)
- the vase came out really well
- relatively happy with the composition
- did a few sketches and a value study for a road map

Things I don't like:
- the daffodil petals are overworked
- hmm...not a whole lot else!

I'm pretty happy with this one.  I think I knocked the background back enough.  Pretty good for #8!:)

P.S.  Click on the picture for a closer look.



No comments:

Post a Comment